Layout of options

General questions about using ExamDiff Pro, ideas for new features, bug reports, and usage tips.
ddenes@acmex.com

Layout of options

Post by ddenes@acmex.com »

I've been using ExamDiff Pro for around 12 years. I find it an invaluable tool to compare folders for promoting changes.

My one big complaint is the layout of the options. I'm sure there was some consideration on how to present them, but after 10+ years, I just start at the top item, read every word, top-to-bottom, go to the next tab.... From my experience, it would have been at least as helpful had they been called "some options..." "more options..." "other", "etc.", "misc." and "et al".
Having finally located where files receive a timestamp when they are copied (about a month ago), I went through the painful process of starting at the top, reading every word... again.

This is not an occasional problem. Every time I want to change anything, I plan on 10-20 minutes (depending on how lucky I might be) to locate and change the option.

I am particularly flummoxed by the nebulous "text compare" and "directory compare" and have to agree that all the tabs should have been call "other options."

Is there any chance that either: 1. the options might either be arranged in some meaningful manner, or 2. just provide an alpha list of ALL the options, so I can scan ONE list, not DOZENS?

As I said, this is my only complaint about this product. As long as I've set the options and never want to change them again, all's well and good.
David F. Denes
Manager, Product Development
Acme Express, Inc.
psguru
Site Admin

Re: Layout of options

Post by psguru »

This is always a problem with a software that has been around for years. Things are being added, and we try as best as we can to keep them organized. Revamping all options would also inevitably irk many existing users.

Speaking of your particular issue, I don't know if you noticed but the Options dialog has a Search bar (below the tree), and if you typed "timestamp" there, you would quickly find the only place this word is used in the options.
psguru
PrestoSoft