Very slow to start application

General questions about using ExamDiff Pro, ideas for new features, bug reports, and usage tips.
baldman

Very slow to start application

Post by baldman »

Hello,

I was using ED basic 1.6 and it worked great, so I purchased the Pro version. I am using 3.4 (beta - 10/18/05 build) and when I click on the icon, it shows the apple and (yellow :) ) orange without text on the task bar for about 5 seconds, then goes away. About 30 seconds later the application will start.

This same thing happens when comparing a directory and chosing to compare two files by right clicking on one of the diff files.

One day out of the blue, it worked as it should, but now - again - it is slow. I've tried rebooting and even right after a reboot, it behaves the same. This is on my IBM laptop w/ 1GB of RAM and plenty of drive space avail.

Any suggestions? It seems to be slower (just an observation - haven't really tested it) if I'm not connected to the network.

Thanks! I LOVE this application...just wish it wasn't so slow.
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

This one would be really hard to reproduce (obviously, I tried that without success). I sent you (in a private message) instructions on how get a trace of the program execution. Please see if you can do it and let me know the results -- perhaps we'll be able to find out what takes long time during startup.

BTW, does it consistently start slowly or, after the first time, subsequent startups are faster?
psguru
PrestoSoft
farid

Re: Very slow to start application

Post by farid »

Hi,

I have the same issue also and have not been able to correct it. Sometimes it loads slow the first time and subsequent launches are ok; but now every launch is slow. I use ED Pro a whole lot and the slow startup is very time consuming. Pls provide solution, if any, or who to get a program trace.

Thank you
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

One reason for slow startup may be that you have file/folders in your comparison history that either are no longer accessible or are accessible via a slow network connection. If this is the case, you can delete these items by dropping a file/folder combo box in the Compare dialog, hovering the mouse over an item you want to delete and hitting Delete.
psguru
PrestoSoft
farid

Re: Very slow to start application (RESOLVED)

Post by farid »

Thank you for quick response. The Delete feature must not be in the older revisions.

I cleared all the Recent content (Files, Folders and AutoPick) in ED Pro Settings in registry and now it launches quickly. ED-Pro is a wonderful tool; Ability to clear the history would be a great feature.

-Farid
Last edited by farid on Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

Yes, see under

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\PrestoSoft\ExamDiff Pro\Recent Left Files
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\PrestoSoft\ExamDiff Pro\Recent Left Directories
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\PrestoSoft\ExamDiff Pro\Recent Right Files
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\PrestoSoft\ExamDiff Pro\Recent Right Directories
psguru
PrestoSoft