Command line option for creating snapshot?

General questions about using ExamDiff Pro, ideas for new features, bug reports, and usage tips.
kamileon

Command line option for creating snapshot?

Post by kamileon »

I'm working on a system that needs to know if a set of directories has changed since the last time a function was run, and I'd like to use EDP to generate an HTML diff report from within my code, and then use XML parsing tools to extract the data from it.

I could just do a copy of the current directory structure every time, and diff the two copies, but I'd rather take a snapshot and diff against that. (MUCH faster.) Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to do that from the command line. Is there a way to trigger a snapshot, or do I have to do it from the GUI?
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

EDPro will automatically recognize a snapshot file and treat it as a directory snapshot rather than a file. So all you need is the following:

Code: Select all

examdiff <snapshot_file_path> <dir_path>
and then whatever options you want.
psguru
PrestoSoft
kamileon

Post by kamileon »

Thanks. :) that'll get me halfway there, but how do I create the snapshot from the command line in the first place?
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

That can only be done from the GUI.
psguru
PrestoSoft
mheydman

Re: Command line option for creating snapshot?

Post by mheydman »

I recently downloaded the trial for ExamDiffPro. I do not see an option to create a snapshot from the command line - but that is my ultimate need for the product.

I see that the feature was not available 11 years ago- just wondering if it was introduced somewhere along the way.

Perhaps there is another tool that can perform this task?
psguru
Site Admin

Re: Command line option for creating snapshot?

Post by psguru »

No, we haven't added this feature. To be fair, we haven't had any other requests to do this.
psguru
PrestoSoft