Open multiple "Compare Matched" from directory compare

General questions about using ExamDiff Pro, ideas for new features, bug reports, and usage tips.
MudGuard
Expert Member

Open multiple "Compare Matched" from directory compare

Post by MudGuard »

Hi,

when I do a directory comparison (started from git with git difftool --dir-diff ) I get a load of different files (no identical files).

I then can launch "Compare Matched" for one file. And then can do the same for the second file. And again manually for the third file. And so on.
As soon as I select more than one file "Compare Matched" is disabled.

How can I open all the "Compare Matched" for all files in the directory, or for all selected files, in one go?

I still use version 7.0 - I didn't use ExamDiff Pro very often the last two years, so I didn't update ...
If the "Compare Matched" for all/selected files is only available in newer version, I will reconsider the update.

Thanks in advance,
Andreas
psguru
Site Admin

Re: Open multiple "Compare Matched" from directory compare

Post by psguru »

No, this is not available.
psguru
PrestoSoft
JeremyNicoll
Expert Member

Post by JeremyNicoll »

At the moment one can 'save diff file' and get a file which contains eg

Different files -> C:\MyProject\One\filter.c *and* C:\MyProject\Two\filter.c
Different files -> C:\MyProject\One\main.c *and* C:\MyProject\Two\main.c
Different files -> C:\MyProject\One\shortcut.c *and* C:\MyProject\Two\shortcut.c
Identical files -> C:\MyProject\One\trial.bat *and* C:\MyProject\Two\trial.bat

That would be easy to parse in any scripting language, as the dividing literal ' *and* ' cannot occur inside a file path. You could use a script to work through such a file and make subsidiary calls to EDP to compare the files described as 'Different'.

If I were doing that I'd probably not issue all the subsidiary commands at once, in case that tried to runs hundreds of instances of EDP all at once, which would gobble up memory and fill the screen with windows... even if it didn't crash Windows.

It might be useful though if Prestosoft would consider an option to only include selected files in the 'save diff' file...
MudGuard
Expert Member

Post by MudGuard »

psguru wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:22 am No, this is not available.
Would it be hard to implement it for all selected files instead of 1 selected file?

It should just be a loop for the selected files ... (and a "> 0" instead of "== 1" for enabling the menu item)
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

It's not that hard, it's just that your request is the only one we've seen. We have other priorities, and any new feature takes time.
psguru
PrestoSoft