Ignored... almost

General questions about using ExamDiff Pro, ideas for new features, bug reports, and usage tips.
MSpagni
Expert Member

Ignored... almost

Post by MSpagni »

Comparing a couple of code files, if you ask to ignore comments then the comments are ignored in the comparison (what a surprise! :lol: ) unless they are in close proximity of (i.e. just before or after a) line with differences.

In this case the comment, if missing in the destination pane, is included in the difference and, if you copy the block from one pane to the other, you copy the comments too.
Fine.

Then, if you ask to ignore also the amount of white space and the blank lines, the comment lines are always completely ignored.
Wow, Very good.

But if you copy the block from one pane to the other you copy the comments too, exactly like before, even if the comments are NOT shown as included in the block...
Before.jpg
Before.jpg (10.16 KiB) Viewed 7280 times
After.jpg
After.jpg (12.69 KiB) Viewed 7280 times
psguru
Site Admin

Re: Ignored... almost

Post by psguru »

Could you post your files or fragments here so that we don't need to type them? I'm also unsure what these two images mean. Are they before and after you copied from the right? If so, it the problem that comment lines are copied too?
psguru
PrestoSoft
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

I can answer your question (if this is about copying comments). Depending on the Ignore Whitespace option, the whole line may become ignored. Now, if you the "Copy adjacent ignored lines when replacing diff blocks" under File Editing enabled, this would lead to ignored lines above and below to be copied as well.
psguru
PrestoSoft
MSpagni
Expert Member

Post by MSpagni »

Got it!
Sorry, I completely missed that option.
Please, tell me it's relatively new... :oops:

Thank you as always.
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

Sorry, "Changes In Version 5.5 (May 15, 2011)" (https://www.prestosoft.com/edp_history.asp) :(
psguru
PrestoSoft