Excel files comparison hurdles.

General questions about using ExamDiff Pro, ideas for new features, bug reports, and usage tips.
narendrac

Excel files comparison hurdles.

Post by narendrac »

Hi Team,

I want compare two excel files like .xlsx extension. in this files are compared.but it displayed with out any space. due to this it is difficult to compare this.Already excel,Sort plugins are used. is any other option for this issue.

Please provide the solution for this.

Regards,
Narendra Reddy.
Attachments
excel space issue.png
excel space issue.png (208.66 KiB) Viewed 8308 times
psguru
Site Admin

Re: Excel files comparison hurdles.

Post by psguru »

The plug-in simply converts XLSX files to CSV files, that are then fed into the diff engine. A typical CSV file (e.g. see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comma-separated_values) does not surround commas with spaces.
psguru
PrestoSoft
WarnerHeree

Excel files comparison hurdles

Post by WarnerHeree »

Using the amb_xdocdiffplugin I can compare and merge changes in 2 Excel files but can not save changes back in xlxs format. I get the following error:
Plugin amb_xdocdiffPlugin.dll cannot pack your changes to the right file in C:test.xlsx
The original file will not be changed.

Is saving back to an Excel file not supported?
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

Conversion to text is one-way operation, and you cannot save text back to Excel. I'm referring here to ExamDiff Pro, and it looks like you are talking about a different diff tool.
psguru
PrestoSoft
JeremyNicoll
Expert Member

Post by JeremyNicoll »

Apart from the issues raised here by the OP (which I suspect can only readily be fixed by writing a reformatter for the CSV files before they are compared), it looks to me as if the XLS->CSV conversion might be in error - though that might depend on whether the EDP viewer is showing the literal contents of the CSV files or an interpreted content?

If you look at eg line 18 in the files, it seems to contain as its second field, a string that contains a double quote - and I was under the impressions that embedded double-quotes were meant to be escaped.

I'm not sure that this much affects the compare issue, though.