Ops!

General questions about using ExamDiff Pro, ideas for new features, bug reports, and usage tips.
MSpagni
Expert Member

Ops!

Post by MSpagni »

Could not start plug-in "C:\Programmi\ExamDiff Pro\Plug-Ins\Xpdf\pdftotext.exe" -table "C:\Downloads\2019-03.pdf": %1 is not a valid Win32 application. (Error 193).
This made me think that EDP installed by mistake the 64 bits version of pdftotext.exe.
I downloaded the 32 version from the Xpdf site (n.b. Current version: 4.01.01, released: 2019 Mar 14) but it has the very same problem, so the culprit is not EDP.
Just for your information.
psguru
Site Admin

Re: Ops!

Post by psguru »

Hmm, I don't have this problem. I even got the latest (Xpdf-4.01.01), just like you, and it is working fine. It did trigger Avast anti-virus alert though, so maybe your anti-virus is preventing the run.
psguru
PrestoSoft
MSpagni
Expert Member

Post by MSpagni »

maybe your anti-virus is preventing the run
For sure not. I haven't any. :D

I tried with two different installations of XP in virtual machines and I had the same problem.
No need to say that the previous versions (up to 4.00) ran perfectly.
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

OK, I can confirm that it doesn't work under XP. So it looks like you need to stick with version 4.00. We'll see if they make newer builds compatible with XP.
psguru
PrestoSoft
MSpagni
Expert Member

Post by MSpagni »

I sent them a message but, being a new user, so far the
message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved.
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

psguru
PrestoSoft
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

And here's the answer:
It wasn't intentional, but I switched over to Visual Studio 2015 for the Windows builds, and it looks like those will no longer run on Win XP. XP is long past its end-of-life at this point, so I'm afraid I can't really spend much effort in supporting it.
I have to agree, XP is really old and long de-supported so we will go ahead with shipping latest versions of Xpdf while XP users would need to get the last working version (4.00) manually.
psguru
PrestoSoft
MSpagni
Expert Member

Post by MSpagni »

I'm sad for that, but I must admit XP is getting more and more outdated and this is not at all the only case of software incompatibility.
I'll keep my pdftotext version 4.00 safely in store.

How long will I stay on XP? I don't know.
Even windows 7 is getting older! (And me too... :( )