BUG: Deleted/Added status group disappears when ShowAll filter used

General questions about using ExamDiff Pro, ideas for new features, bug reports, and usage tips.
David B. Trout

BUG: Deleted/Added status group disappears when ShowAll filter used

Post by David B. Trout »

This is a weird one! :shock:

My normal directory comparison setting is to use the "Show Only Differences" filter and "Grouping By Status". But sometimes I need to see everything (rather than only the differences), so I change the filter (via the toolbar) to the "Show All" filter.

But when I do that, files that happen to fall into the "Added" (or "Deleted") status group, disappear! They're not shown at all! They disappear from the directory comparison display!

If I leave the filter set to "Show All" but change to "Grouping by None", then the files that exist in the one directory that do not exist in the other appear in the comparison display again!

What is DOUBLY WEIRD is, when the problem occurs ("Show All" + Grouping By Status"), if I scroll down to the bottom of the comparison display, there seems to be two "phantom" groups displayed with no files shown in either group! No filenames are displayed at all! The screen is BLANK in those two groups (where filenames would normally appear!)

VERY weird. :shock:

NOTE: I am unfortunately unable to create a small reproducible test case for this bug. I don't know why. When I try to create a small set of directories with the (supposed!) same conditions, EDP behaves correctly. I can only cause the problem to occur with my project's live directories, which are unfortunately very large. I don't know what the attachment limit is, but the .zip file that reproduces the problem is 43.1 MB in size. I am going to try to attach it to this problem report.

I would have attached screen shots to illustrate the problem, but your board will not allow me to attach all 5 of them. It attaches the first 3 and then the others get an error. So you'll have to look at them in the attached .zip file (which contains the two directories, all 5 screen shots, an export of my options as well as an export of my settings).

Thank you for any help you can provide on this VERY weird bug.

It's really causing me serious grief. :cry:
OKAY, THE .ZIP FILE IS TOO LARGE TO ATTACH.

So I've temporarily uploaded it to my web site. You can download it from there:

http://www.softdevlabs.com/downloads/edpbug.zip
Last edited by David B. Trout on Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Fish" (David B. Trout)
"Programming today is a race between
software engineers striving to build bigger
and better idiot-proof programs, and the
Universe trying to produce bigger and better
idiots. So far, the Universe is winning"
- Rich Cook
JeremyNicoll
Expert Member

Re: BUG: Deleted/Added status group disappears when ShowAll filter used

Post by JeremyNicoll »

The screenshots problem is easy to work around - attach 3 to one post then 2 to a following post.
David B. Trout

Post by David B. Trout »

JeremyNicoll wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:29 am The screenshots problem is easy to work around - attach 3 to one post then 2 to a following post.
(DOH!) Silly me. :oops:

Okay, here's the first screen shot of the initial directory comparison display, with the 'Show Only Differences" filter applied and the "Group By" set to "Status":
OnlyDiffsFilterWithGrouping.jpg
OnlyDiffsFilterWithGrouping.jpg (123.46 KiB) Viewed 4165 times
Here's the next screen shot, showing the bug, after having switched my filter to "Show All" (but leaving my "Group By" still set to "Status"):
ShowAllFilterWithGrouping.jpg
ShowAllFilterWithGrouping.jpg (147.17 KiB) Viewed 4165 times
And Here's a screen shot of the BOTTOM of the same problematic display, showing the first of the empty/blank "phantom" groups:
ShowAllFilterWithGroupingBottomBlankGroup.jpg
ShowAllFilterWithGroupingBottomBlankGroup.jpg (84.13 KiB) Viewed 4165 times
I will post the last two screen shots in my next post.
"Fish" (David B. Trout)
- Rich Cook
David B. Trout

Post by David B. Trout »

Here are the last two screen shots:
This is a second screen shot of the BOTTOM of the problematic directory comparison display (filter = "Show All", grouping = "Status") showing the second of the two "phantom" groups:
ShowAllFilterWithGroupingBottomBlankGroup2.jpg
ShowAllFilterWithGroupingBottomBlankGroup2.jpg (86.78 KiB) Viewed 4165 times
And finally, here is the final screen shot showing the problem going away after changing my "Group By" setting to "None":
ShowAllFilterWITHOUTGrouping.jpg
ShowAllFilterWITHOUTGrouping.jpg (175.95 KiB) Viewed 4165 times
As you can see, the two files "skey.c" and "skey'h" correctly shown the in the original directory comparison display (see previous post) are now properly shown.

But when my grouping is set to "by status", they are not shown at all when my filter is set to "Show All". When my grouping is set to "by status" but my filter is set to "Show Only Differences", they are displayed just fine! (in the "Added" status category, just like they should be). But as soon as I switch to the "Show All" display filter, they disappear!

UNLESS... I change my "Group By" setting to "None"! THEN they appear!

I suspect the first of the two "phantom" (blank/empty) groups at the bottom of the problematic display is probably where they should be appearing (based on the tooltip that appears when I hover my mouse over the copy arrow), but due to some weird EDP bug they're not appearing at all.

I hope this illustrated version of my problem report helps others to better "see" the bug and for them to try and reproduce it for themselves. I don't know whether the problem might be one of my settings or options or whether this is truly an EDP bug.

But the blank/empty phantom group at the bottom of the display sure makes it look like a bona fide EDP bug to me!
"Fish" (David B. Trout)
- Rich Cook
David B. Trout

Post by David B. Trout »

FWIW, the same bug occurs in EDP version 11 too.
"Fish" (David B. Trout)
- Rich Cook
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

Thanks for reporting this. The fix will appear in the next build of 12.0.
psguru
PrestoSoft
David B. Trout

Post by David B. Trout »

psguru wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:09 pm Thanks for reporting this. The fix will appear in the next build of 12.0.
Confirmed! Thank you! :D
"Fish" (David B. Trout)
- Rich Cook