How about a secure version i.e scp/ssh ?

General questions about using FtpVC, ideas for new features, bug reports, and usage tips.
RubiconCSL

How about a secure version i.e scp/ssh ?

Post by RubiconCSL »

Hi,

Nice looking toolset. Any chance of a secure connection version i.e. scp/ssh?

Not that I'm paranoid or anything, but I really feel much happier using scp/ssh.

Cheers.

Dominic
Dominic Raywood
Rubicon Computer Services Limited
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

Yes, there's a chance (not sure when though). I'll add your vote to the wish list at http://www.prestosoft.com/ps.asp?page=fvc_suggestions .
psguru
PrestoSoft
fredmc

Re: How about a secure version i.e scp/ssh ?

Post by fredmc »

It has been 10 years since this request. I made a similar one two years ago. Looking at the votes it appears that this is an extremely highly requested feature - way more than double the next highly requested feature. Your last build was quite a while ago. Is there any chance that you will ever, in my lifetime (I'm 65), implement a secure connection protocol? As it is, it appears that our votes don't mean much to you. Please, we really like the product, but just using an obscure port to connect isn't really secure and likely isn't available to everyone who would like to use FtpVC.
:(
psguru
Site Admin

Re: How about a secure version i.e scp/ssh ?

Post by psguru »

I'm afraid my answer will not satisfy you.

FtpVC is heavily reliant on WinInet API, and the latter has yet to support any kind of secure FTP. While there's a hope that Microsoft will eventually add this support, we have no idea when or if it might happen. On the other hand, rewriting FtpVC to use another FTP library was attempted a couple of times, and each time it proved to be very hard to justify in terms of ROI.

So as things stand now, I can't promise adding secure FTP support in foreseeable future, not due to lack of desire to help our users but to the aforementioned technical difficulties.
psguru
PrestoSoft