History and Diffs

General questions about using FtpVC, ideas for new features, bug reports, and usage tips.
Varrak

History and Diffs

Post by Varrak »

I can't seem to get diffs to work with history on any files. It has worked once or twice in the past, but for some reason, I can't see diffs between any historical versions of files at all any more. I always get the error:

---------------------------
FtpVC
File <my source file name>;9 does not exist!
OK

Is there anything special I need to do to get this to work? This is one of the most useful features in version control, and I'd kinda like to be able to use it... :)
Varrak

Re: History and Diffs

Post by Varrak »

Update: It seems like all the history files are stored in the project root, with the filename form of <directory name><filename>;<version> - just that ftpvc can't actually find them for some reason. So I guess I can do manual diffs - but it would be nice if the Diff button in the history dialog could do it...
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

The location of old versions is determined by the "FtpVC directory (relative to the remote directory)" option under Project Options | Startup.
psguru
PrestoSoft
Varrak

Post by Varrak »

Thanks - that makes sense. However, since I never actually specified a FtpVC directory and everything's in the root, if I try and specify a relative path (even ..\<mypathname>) I get "no history can be found" for history searches, OR the same deal (it can't find the files). I've tried specifying a FtpVC path, and moving all the history files to it, but that doesn't seem to work either. Now it can't find history or anything.
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

You don't need any slashes or backslashes in this setting. Simply use "mydirname", or keep the default (".ftpvc"). And yes, you can manually copy your version files and stubs if you change this setting after using FtpVC with another directory.

Thanks - that makes sense. However, since I never actually specified a FtpVC directory and everything's in the root, if I try and specify a relative path (even ..\<mypathname>) I get "no history can be found" for history searches, OR the same deal (it can't find the files). I've tried specifying a FtpVC path, and moving all the history files to it, but that doesn't seem to work either. Now it can't find history or anything.
psguru
PrestoSoft
Varrak

Post by Varrak »

OK, I got it. It does look like a bug in FtpVC - since if you leave the FtpVC directory blank (the default), you get all the history files stored in the project root, with their relative path names concatenated with the filename. So a file like

path1\file1.h;3

becomes

path1file1.h;3

Which is why FtpVC can't find it.

I can manually fix this by renaming all these files (a few hundred) so I can recover the history. But it might be cool to populate that field with a default in FtpVC when you first create a project, to help other folks like me (who don't pay much attention to what they're doing!) hitting this issue.

Thanks for all the help. I must say, this is a great product, and considering the quality of the product, and responsiveness of support, HUGE value for money. Thanks again!

Steve
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

OK, I got it. It does look like a bug in FtpVC
I couldn't reproduce this. Having blank "FtpVC directory" options still works fine.
But it might be cool to populate that field with a default in FtpVC when you first create a project
It actually is. Try creating a new project and check the "FtpVC directory" setting.
psguru
PrestoSoft