connection performance

General questions about using FtpVC, ideas for new features, bug reports, and usage tips.
dhbishop

connection performance

Post by dhbishop »

Hi,

This is a perfect product for developers like me who have a team of freelance developers working for them and need to operate some form of version control over a distributed environment. Ingenious solution!

However while I have no concern that FtpVC can handle the number of files that we are working with (around 2000 template HTML files in 200 directories) I do find every operation is slow.

I am happy to check in and out single files at a time but each operation/file takes around 5-10 seconds for files of around 10kb.

I am working in the UK on a tested broadband collection of 6.5Mb, talking to a UK based server hosted with Rackspace in the docklands with a ping return from my location of 31ms.

I have found other Ftp software to be much quicker, I am aware that additional files are being read/written from the server for each operation, but still it feels like it takes a long time for each file.

Although I have only been using FtpVC for under a month, I am a fan and will stick with it despite being slow because it solves a huge headache for me version control/ftp wise.

Are there any tricks I can use to speed things up a bit??

Many thanks,

David.
psguru
Site Admin

Re: connection performance

Post by psguru »

It usually boils down to the performance of FTP, especially the overhead of transferring multiple files. I'll send you enhanced tracing instructions via a private message. Please follow them and the the log to me, and perhaps we'll be able to see where the slowdown occurs.
psguru
PrestoSoft
MiloDC

Re: connection performance

Post by MiloDC »

Have you developers considered multiple connections per session? Some other FTP softwares do this (e.g. Site Publisher), and it is much, much faster.