BUG: Truncated files appear current

General questions about using FtpVC, ideas for new features, bug reports, and usage tips.
phuguet

BUG: Truncated files appear current

Post by phuguet »

I have an issue where sometimes ftpvc check in some files but hangs in the middle and the files are truncated. It says "current" even when FtpVC version is truncated and your local version isn't (only compares 1st x bytes, doesn't bother to confirm that x != y in terms of file size)
psguru
Site Admin

Re: BUG: Truncated files appear current

Post by psguru »

Let me ask you: how do you get out of a hanging transfer? Do you kill FtpVC, then restart, and then it says "Current"?
psguru
PrestoSoft
phuguet

Post by phuguet »

Either I wait and it will continue (but the file it hung on will be truncated at 10% but say Current) or End Task it- in which case the file usually says locked or not in project. Whenever the file is truncated to fix it I have to first delete it then add it as if it were new (and hope it doesn't hang again). If I just check it out and try to check it back in, it thinks they are identical and
so doesn't actually do the check in (thinks there were no changes) so it remains truncated.
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

I still can't come up with a scenario to test this.

Using the size is not reliable since, depending on the type of FTP transfer, sizes of the source and destination files may not match. FtpVC uses CRCs to determine the status. Local CRCs are calculated, remote CRCs are recorded in file stubs. What puzzles me here is that stubs are written in the very end of each operation (such as Check In), so if the operation doesn't complete, the stub will not be updated.
psguru
PrestoSoft