Multiple projects with different working folders

General questions about using FtpVC, ideas for new features, bug reports, and usage tips.
amin

Multiple projects with different working folders

Post by amin »

Is it possible to set up FtpVC in a way that I can work with multiple projects (each with a different working folder) in the same session? For example:

Local
C:\Project1
C:\Project2

Remote
/myaccount/project1/
/myaccount/project2/

I want to be able to view and work with both /project1 and /project2 in the Folders pane of FtpVC (left-hand pane) at the same time and checkout should put the files in the corresponding folders on the local machine. Visual SourceSafe allows for specifying a different working folder per project but I don't seem to be able to do this in FtpVC unless I load each project separately using disconnect/reconnect.
psguru
Site Admin

Re: Multiple projects with different working folders

Post by psguru »

You can do this by creating and mapping parent remote and local folders. So, in your case, you'd have:

Local
C:\Parent
C:\Parent\Project1
C:\Parent\Project2

Remote
/myaccount/parent
/myaccount/parent/project1/
/myaccount/parent/project2/
psguru
PrestoSoft
amin

Post by amin »

Thanks. This I knew. This requires me to re-organize my directory structure on the local machine which I don't want to. I hope you can add support for what I asked in a future release.
MiloDC

Post by MiloDC »

DItto this. I've got a few small but mutually distinct projects, it would be much better to have multiple projects per connection, instead of having to disconnect then reconnect just to check in/out some file in a different project.

Multiple connections per session would be even better, if you want to get really fancy.
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

You can also open a different instance of FtpVC instead of disconnecting the existing one.
psguru
PrestoSoft
fredmc

Post by fredmc »

Opening multiple instances of FtpVC is indeed an option. However, I work on up to 5 different projects, all on different remote servers. Five instances running adds to my already crowded taskbar. I know it's a lot to ask, but a tabbed interface, with a different project in each tab, would be awsome. I am going to add this to the wish list, for what it's worth. (Though a command line interface is higher on my wish list.)