using from USB drive - Registry independent

General questions about using ExamDiff Pro, ideas for new features, bug reports, and usage tips.
goobhat

using from USB drive - Registry independent

Post by goobhat »

I would buy ExamDiff Pro if it was possible to use from a USB drive without using the Registry for anything. Any plans on providing this?

Also, if to be used from a Windows boot CD, in addition to being Registry independent, it would have to use a temp drive such as "%temp%" or a user defined one.
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

Any plans on providing this?
No. While you can use EDPro from a USB drive, it will still use the Registry. We don't have any plans to implement an alternative storage for user settings.
psguru
PrestoSoft
nevski

Post by nevski »

As this post was 2 years old and USB keys are now much more popular, with websites like portableApps and Firefox and OpenOffice running of USB keys without writing to the registry, are there still no plans for making EDPro run from a USB key with no registry alterations? I agree with the poster 2 years ago that I would buy this program if it was capable of doing that.
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

We do have plans to save user settings outside of the Registry. I can't though name a specific version where this feature will be delivered.
psguru
PrestoSoft
OLLI_S

Post by OLLI_S »

Hello,

in my company many users do not have rights to install software and to access the registry.

It would be a BIG benefit pro me (programmer) if a tester calls me, finds a bug in my software and asks me to heck this.

Normally I go to his machine and compare log files and settings files.
On this PC the tester has no rights and so using ExamDiff is not possible here.
If I would have ExamDiff on my USB stick and could plug it in, I could use it there without having to install it.

An other application offers a way that might be practicable:

You install the application (here ExamDiff Pro) and register it.
Only then you have the menu item to create a USB Version.
You have to plug in the USB Stick and the application is copying the required files.
Using the serial number of the stick (and maybe other criteria) it is made sure, that ONLY THIS USB-STICK can be used (so the version on the stick can NOT be used on any other stick or any other HDD).

Would be fantastic.

Greetings

OLLI