Can I output a simple text file of lines which are different

General questions about using ExamDiff Pro, ideas for new features, bug reports, and usage tips.
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

Perhaps there's some confusion here. ExamDiff Pro does produce the standard UNIX diff output. The original poster wanted something different.
psguru
PrestoSoft
davidla

Post by davidla »

Perhaps there is, I don't know what the standard unix diff output is, but what I want is a clean diff file with just the differences output - nothing else. Is this possble.
In hope,

David
It isn't pretty being easy
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

Standard Unix diff format contains only differences but it's format may look tricky at first. However, it allows you to later use the PATCH utility to apply differences to the first file so that it becomes the second file. This way you can only store one base file and a set of diff files, just like many version control systems do.
psguru
PrestoSoft
davidla

diff text

Post by davidla »

Let me ask my question a different way.

Here is text file 1

Line1
Line4
Line5

Here is text file 2

Line1
Line2
Line3
Line4
Line5

The output required is

Line2
Line3

IE the differences, i dont care about the original source files, only the difference. Can your program produce the output exactly as shown here, nothing else, no line number information, greater than symbols, nothing - just the differences.

David
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

Not directly and not from command line. For the GUI solution see the reply by Farrillaga in this thread.

I just want you to understand that there exist formats that describe diffs and are standard, i.e. understood by many users and software alike. If we start introducing new formats, virtually no one will understand them.
Last edited by psguru on Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
psguru
PrestoSoft
davidla

Post by davidla »

Hmm, I'm not looking for a change of standards, I'm looking for an answer to a problem, you can't provide it, I'll look elsewhere. No problem.

Perhaps I'll introduce a new standard 2-1 = 1

Thanks