Printing a part of the files

General questions about using ExamDiff Pro, ideas for new features, bug reports, and usage tips.
PsychoMark

Printing a part of the files

Post by PsychoMark »

Hi,

I'd like to be able to compare two files, select a range and print those parts of both files as usual.

For a bit of background information: I regularly find bugs in our library, which then have to be passed to the project leaders for approval. Since source code is often easier to communicate, I print diff reports of the repository version versus my local fixed version to go along with the report. For fixes with a few lines this is much easier than copying the whole file to a shared location.

Of course it's a waste of paper to print the whole source twice, so I end up using the Clipboard compare feature to cut out only the block which has changed. The disadvantage of this approach is that I lose line number information.

Note that this differs from the filtered view option, because unchanged lines within the range are also included so that the code shows as it does in the editor.

Hope you find it useful enough to implement it :)
2B or not 2B, that is FF!
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

This is actually already implemented. You can select text, then go to Files | Print, and select "Print Selection" option. Or use Options | Misc | General | "Default print uses selection (if it exists)" -- this will use "Print Selection" when you click on the Print toolbar button and when you use Print Preview.
psguru
PrestoSoft
PsychoMark

Post by PsychoMark »

Wow, totally missed that one... I went through the options but overlooked that checkbox, so the preview would just show it all, after which I didn't even attempt a full print... excellent, thanks! :D
2B or not 2B, that is FF!