Suggestion: explorer context menu directory vs file compare

General questions about using ExamDiff Pro, ideas for new features, bug reports, and usage tips.
BWB

Suggestion: explorer context menu directory vs file compare

Post by BWB »

In the 'open' dialog (compare new pair) I must define first whether I want to compare directories or files. When I chose files, I may add as second only a directory, and ED comfortably uses the correct file, i. e. the file with the same name as the first one, in the second directory (maybe this works the other way round as well, as long as at least one file name is given).

Now I am a great fan and user of the explorer contex menu. But when I select a file via 'select first item to compare', and then right click on a directory, ED offers to compare this directory to the directory I last chose when I selected a directory to compare with.

What I would really appreciate, is that ED would always use the last 'select first item to compare' action to determine whether to compare directories or files, and then offer to compare with the file of the same name in the selected directory, like it does in its open dialog.

Or even better - only if both selections are directories use directory comparison, and use file comparison in any other case, including automatic file name addition.

Too much of an effort? Bad idea? Missed an option? :roll:

Thx for taking the time to read this long text :wink:

Best regards,
Brendan
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

I think it's not a bad idea. Here's what we can do (and try and add it to the 3.3 Beta): have a new option in Options | Global | General, "Allow comparing files to directories (by appending file names to directory names)". If it's checked (unchecked by default), and a file is selected, the Shell extension will display 3 menu items -- if there are both file and directory previously selected as first items, 2 menu items -- if there's only one of the above, and 1 menu item -- of none items were selected as first. The same goes for a selected directory.

If the option is unchecked, the Shell extension will work as is currently does.
psguru
PrestoSoft
BWB

Post by BWB »

Thanks, looking forward to test it! :D
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

It's been added to the latest beta. Enjoy.
psguru
PrestoSoft
BWB

Post by BWB »

Works great & saves me time searching the files manually - thanks a lot!
BWB

Post by BWB »

Wow - even selecting a file AND a directory in one go works as expected (by adding the filename and comparing the files) - great job, thanks!