Directory Compare Format

General questions about using ExamDiff Pro, ideas for new features, bug reports, and usage tips.
ControlsGuy

Directory Compare Format

Post by ControlsGuy »

I've been using Exam Diff for a couple years but mostly with files, and I'm just beginning to use the Directory comparison frequently.

I notice that EDP treats the left pane (Directory 1) and the right (Directory 2) assymetrically. A file that exists in 2 but not 1 is considered "Added", while a file in 1 but not 2 is considered "Deleted". This is kind of non-intuitive for me. I'd assume that they'd both show as added, and of course only displaying in the corresponding pane. This feels like the right pane is considered the master, and that the left is compared with it. That's....OK....though I'd prefer it work symmetrically, but if there is an assymetry, I like to make the left the master. Consistency helps me not mess up and accidentally propagate adds and deletions the wrong direction.

I can't find an option to make the comparison symmetrical or 1/2 agnostic, and if I flip the panes, it still has right master, left compare, so I have the same situation. Is there an option either to make the left considered the master, or make the comparison symmetrical? I guess I could make the "Deleted" format the same as "Added" and that should get me the rough equivalent of a symmetrical comparison. Can anyone think of any issues with doing it that way?
psguru
Site Admin

Re: Directory Compare Format

Post by psguru »

Could you provide a screenshot with an example of what you consider asymmetric treatment of directories?
psguru
PrestoSoft
ControlsGuy

Post by ControlsGuy »

If the file in in Dir 2:
File in Dir 2.jpg
File in Dir 2.jpg (76.22 KiB) Viewed 12549 times
If the file is in Dir 1:
File in Dir 1.jpg
File in Dir 1.jpg (76.71 KiB) Viewed 12549 times
File still in Dir 1 but swap panels:
Swap Panels.jpg
Swap Panels.jpg (76.25 KiB) Viewed 12549 times
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

I don't see a problem. The second directory is always with added files, and the first - with deleted. If you swap directories, the one that was first becomes second, and vice versa.
psguru
PrestoSoft
ControlsGuy

Post by ControlsGuy »

I thought you DIDN'T see assymetry? ;) So now I take it you DO understand my original post? If so, could you please respond?
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

I still don't fully understand your predicament but, to answer your original question, no, there's no way to force the first pane to have added items or for the the second - deleted.
psguru
PrestoSoft
ControlsGuy

Post by ControlsGuy »

So I guess the only workaround is to format Added and Deleted the same way. Does this not qualify as an asymmetry to you?? (No judgment, just confusion)
jsampson45

Post by jsampson45 »

As an infrequent user I find Examdiff confusing. It seems that if a file exists in one folder but not the other it is marked "Deleted" when it is nothing of the sort. It was never there. This is not only confusing but also alarming - has Examdiff deleted a wanted file, one wonders. The answer is no. I am sure the data could be presented in a more user-friendly format.