preventing EDP from stealing the focus

General questions about using ExamDiff Pro, ideas for new features, bug reports, and usage tips.
andyholtmacc

preventing EDP from stealing the focus

Post by andyholtmacc »

Had a quick search, doesn't seem anyone's asked this before: when I set EDP off on copying a large amount of stuff from one directory to another, I usually Alt-Tab off to something else. Annoyingly, EDP always pops back up to the front, stealing the focus, even if the focus is currently with a window on my other screen (running a monitor + laptop screen).

Any way to prevent this, or is it a bug?

cheers Andy

PS I have the TweakUI thingie from Microsoft and have used it to 'Prevent applications from stealing focus' but in this case, no luck.

Win XP SP1, EDP 3.2c
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

This is kind of by design. The thing is, Windows XP steals focus from EDPro window after SHFileOperation (the API used for all file operations in EDPro). The result of this is that if you are in EDPro, and, say, copy a file from the first pane to the second, EDPro will no longer have the focus after the copy operation. To restore the focus you'd have to click somewhere inside the EDPro window. This is quite annoying, especially if you prefer to use keyboard interface instead of mouse.
psguru
PrestoSoft
andyholtmacc

Post by andyholtmacc »

Hello psguru, thanks for the answer. Could an option to toggle this behaviour be added to the (no doubt vast) list of feature requests?

thanks
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

It appears that there is a better way, without adding an option, to handle this situation. The fix is in the latest Beta build; please try it and let us know if it works for you.
psguru
PrestoSoft
andyholtmacc

Post by andyholtmacc »

psguru wrote:It appears that there is a better way, without adding an option, to handle this situation. The fix is in the latest Beta build; please try it and let us know if it works for you.
Sorry for the delay in my response, I am downloading the latest beta now and will try it.

-edit- In fact it's not a beta, it's the release version. And it's telling me that if I go ahead with the install, I'll be dropped back to eval mode. That's a shame... I'm not convinced (yet) that there's enough difference (ha!) between 3.2 and 3.3 to warrant an upgrade charge.

thanks.
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

I'm not convinced (yet) that there's enough difference (ha!) between 3.2 and 3.3 to warrant an upgrade charge.
Why not use 30 days of evaluation to make up your mind ?
psguru
PrestoSoft
andyholtmacc

Post by andyholtmacc »

psguru wrote:
I'm not convinced (yet) that there's enough difference (ha!) between 3.2 and 3.3 to warrant an upgrade charge.
Why not use 30 days of evaluation to make up your mind ?
I am doing, that's what my 'yet' meant. :)