Version column: give an inch, we'll take a mile

General questions about using ExamDiff Pro, ideas for new features, bug reports, and usage tips.
zweistein

Version column: give an inch, we'll take a mile

Post by zweistein »

I only just noticed the Version column in directory comparisons (which I guess has been there more than a year since 3.2c). And see some pretty nifty background version calculations seem to be in place already! How I long now for the possibility to show the version number from text files. Such as those written in source files treated by version control system (casually reusing terminiology from nr. 8 on the wish list here).
My proposal is to enrich the settings with a regular expression containing a "group". E.g. a javadoc style version number could be covered with:

Code: Select all

^ *\* @version (.*)$
This would set \1 or $1 (RegEx/perl speak) to the bare version number displayed in the Version column. The first match would do it, possibly only in the first few blocks of a file.
And then, to top it off, an additional Ignore option to ignore lines matched by the version number filter. Please, please?
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

How I long now for the possibility to show the version number from text files.
I'm not sure this one will be very popular. Let me add the following feature request to the wish list:

Code: Select all

Obtain version information from text files (using a user-defined regular expression) and allow to use it in directory comparison
And then, to top it off, an additional Ignore option to ignore lines matched by the version number filter.
Can't this already be done using regex ignore options?
psguru
PrestoSoft
zweistein

Post by zweistein »

Sure, you can ignore version tags already - it was just a cherry on the cake not to have to enter the regex twice.
For those who happen to read this, you can let EDP ignore the difference between for example $Revision$ and $Revision: 1.2$, both in file comparisions and directory comparisons.