comparison is triping

General questions about using ExamDiff Pro, ideas for new features, bug reports, and usage tips.
cmal

comparison is triping

Post by cmal »

I compared a larger file with a smaller;
the larger contains most of the smaller two times the first occurrence is not found:

the small file has 4 leading bytes ("0x00000001") which can be found in part after the start of the first block (marked dark blue); that's why only the second block is found; that seems to be a bug;

by the way: I had to use a camera to take the picture, because as soon as the program looses focus the higlighting (dark blue) is disabled; it would be useful to keep the highlighting if one needs to mark something and then work in a third party software...
Attachments
files.zip
(811 Bytes) Downloaded 397 times
psguru
Site Admin

Re: comparison is triping

Post by psguru »

The diff algorithm finds equivalences in the order of the files, so it found those 00 first, when preventing the match you expected. The result is still correct albeit not as pleasing to the eye.

BTW, you will get a different (better?) result using byte-to-byte comparison (Binary options).
psguru
PrestoSoft
cmal

Post by cmal »

I don't think that byte by byte gives better results:

and I would expect that it finds the first match; to show the second would indicate there is nothing before...
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

Byte-by-byte is dumb, it simply compares bytes in the same positions. Hence I used "?".
psguru
PrestoSoft
cmal

Post by cmal »

something more:
please check the following binary files in the zip...
https://mega.nz/file/vp9kmJ7S#UYGyo58UA ... 20qo0Y-8lw

- main_0.prt -> a larger file containing the data of the other two files
- main_0_1.prt -> is the first portion of main_0.prt
- sub.prt -> ist part of main_0_1.prt (therefore obviously also of main_0.prt)

if you compare main_0 against main_0_1 it will be detected;
if you compare sub against main_0 it will not be detected (or at least not displayed correctly)
if you compare sub against main_0_1 it will be detected and displayed correctly
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

Please post screenshots with results. My guess is that, like in the first case, comparison is correct but not what a human would necessarily do.
psguru
PrestoSoft
MSpagni
Expert Member

Post by MSpagni »

Probably a naive question: isn't it possible to apply to binary files the (or, at least, some of) the algorithms now selectable for text?
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

I should have predicted this question :). I'll have to check on this.
psguru
PrestoSoft
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

I can confirm that binary comparison uses only the classic diff algorithm. This is due to the design limitations of the diff library.
psguru
PrestoSoft
MSpagni
Expert Member

Post by MSpagni »

What a pity... :(
cmal

Post by cmal »

psguru wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:49 am Please post screenshots with results. My guess is that, like in the first case, comparison is correct but not what a human would necessarily do.
if you download the files and perform the comparison as described you will see by your self.
the larger file is bigger than one screen; so, no single screenshot will catch the problem...

to the "first case" :
I purchased the tool for analytical tasks. from my point of view it is not acceptable that it overlooks a 52-byte block because it has found 4 isolated bytes before... one could not rely on the outcome of any comparison... -> useless for serious work.
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

Diff results are subjective. The guarantee of the tool is their correctness, that is that you can mentally convert one file to the other using the results.

We are also looking into a possibility of using advanced diff algorithms for binary comparison. It will require more memory but at least it may be available. The change, if we go ahead with it, will appear in the next major version.
psguru
PrestoSoft
JeremyNicoll
Expert Member

Post by JeremyNicoll »

cmal wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:04 pm the larger file is bigger than one screen; so, no single screenshot will catch the problem...
Two things:
1. you should be able to create a test case where the files are somewhat smaller
2. a temporary change to the resolution/scaling of your desktop might enable you to fit a bigger window into one screenful
cmal

Post by cmal »

JeremyNicoll wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:28 am
cmal wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:04 pm the larger file is bigger than one screen; so, no single screenshot will catch the problem...
Two things:
1. you should be able to create a test case where the files are somewhat smaller
2. a temporary change to the resolution/scaling of your desktop might enable you to fit a bigger window into one screenful
the "large" file is 3 MB... is such a file already considered too big? maybe the size is a key in this problem.

Edit:
to "be able to create a test case " one needs to know already what the root cause is... that is is not a task for the customer but for the developer...
in general in the very few days with the tool (which looks promising, don't take me wrong) I'm under the impression that it struggles with files which are of (significantly) different size...
JeremyNicoll
Expert Member

Post by JeremyNicoll »

cmal wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:11 am
JeremyNicoll wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:28 am
Two things:
the "large" file is 3 MB... is such a file already considered too big? maybe the size is a key in this problem.
Of course the file is not "too big" from a compare point of view. But it was YOU who said that the larger file is more than a screenful, for taking screenshots of the problem. So try and invent demonstration files that are small enough to fit into a single screen for screenshots.