Directory comparison - ignore line break style

General questions about using ExamDiff Pro, ideas for new features, bug reports, and usage tips.
dchirgwin

Directory comparison - ignore line break style

Post by dchirgwin »

Can anyone tell me how to ignore line break style when doing a directory comparison (using full file comparison)?
I sort of presumed a full file comparison would use the "ignores" that were specified for simple Text Comparison, but it doesn't seem to work like that.

My situation is that I am comparing source code where one location has it with CR/LF and the other has it with just LF. Directory Comparison shows that every file is different, but when I double-click to see the file differences, the resulting File Comparison (which uses the "ignore") says they are identical.

All comments or suggestions welcome!

Dave C
psguru
Site Admin

Re: Directory comparison - ignore line break style

Post by psguru »

This is how it should work. I just tested a similar scenario in 13.0, and it worked as expected. Please make sure that you indeed use full file comparison in directory comparison.
psguru
PrestoSoft
dchirgwin

Re: Directory comparison - ignore line break style

Post by dchirgwin »

Thanks for your prompt response.

This appears to be a problem with WSL2. My files with LF are on a WSL2 drive which is mounted on Windows but they don't work properly during Directory Compare. If I move them back onto the Windows FS (but leave the line endings as they were) it all works as expected.

It would be nice to understand why exactly ExamDiff Pro has this trouble with WSL2 files, but I have to admit it looks like WSL2 is the source of the problem, not ExamDiff Pro.