Tree mode directory comparison issues

General questions about using ExamDiff Pro, ideas for new features, bug reports, and usage tips.
psguru
Site Admin

Re: Tree mode directory comparison issues

Post by psguru »

In short, you shouln't have the same column widths when one mode has 4 columns and the other mode has 5.
One compromise would be to have separate settings for the name column. The rest can be shared.
And you can't sort by the same column when one of the modes does not have it.
If you sort by rel. path in flat mode, tree mode will be sorted by name. Going back it will remain on name. I don't see it as a problem. Besides, how often do you switch between the modes?
Also, I like the fact that the header is a different colour in tree mode. Is it possible to do it in flat mode as well?
It's possible but difficult, so we are not going to do this in this version at least.
psguru
PrestoSoft
Alexo
Expert Member

Post by Alexo »

psguru wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:33 am
In short, you shouln't have the same column widths when one mode has 4 columns and the other mode has 5.
One compromise would be to have separate settings for the name column. The rest can be shared.
Having separate settings is the right approach, as it supports all possible workflows. I sometimes use different column configurations in both modes because of limited screen real estate (without scrolling).

And you can't sort by the same column when one of the modes does not have it.
If you sort by rel. path in flat mode, tree mode will be sorted by name. Going back it will remain on name. I don't see it as a problem.
I do. I want flat mode always sorted by relative path.

psguru wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:33 am Besides, how often do you switch between the modes?
Often enough for it to bother me.

Also, I like the fact that the header is a different colour in tree mode. Is it possible to do it in flat mode as well?
It's possible but difficult, so we are not going to do this in this version at least.
Fair enough.
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

I can see having different column widths store for different modes.

However, I'm not sure about separate storing of sorted column name. We can either do this but then toggling between modes will change sort order. So if I had sort by size in flat mode, and by time in tree mode, it may look awkward. Or we can treat relative path sorting as a special thing and store/restore it for flat mode if it was last used there, regardless of tree sorting. Both of these are not very attractive (and let's add the third option: keep what we have now).
psguru
PrestoSoft
Alexo
Expert Member

Post by Alexo »

psguru wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:17 am I can see having different column widths store for different modes.

However, I'm not sure about separate storing of sorted column name. We can either do this but then toggling between modes will change sort order. So if I had sort by size in flat mode, and by time in tree mode, it may look awkward. Or we can treat relative path sorting as a special thing and store/restore it for flat mode if it was last used there, regardless of tree sorting. Both of these are not very attractive (and let's add the third option: keep what we have now).
Treating relative path sorting as a special is actually a very good solution.
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

All implemented in Build 15.0.0.9.
psguru
PrestoSoft
Alexo
Expert Member

Post by Alexo »

psguru wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:03 pm All implemented in Build 15.0.0.9.
  1. Separate column size - verified works, thank you!
  2. Sort by relative path saving - verified works, thank you!
  3. Scrolling by screenfull in tree mode - does not work, still scrolls by one line in the opposite (-1) direction.
Capture1.JPG
Capture1.JPG (35.3 KiB) Viewed 1220 times
capture2.jpg
capture2.jpg (27.01 KiB) Viewed 1220 times
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

Fixed in build 15.0.0.10.
psguru
PrestoSoft
Alexo