Integration with Source Safe?

General questions about using ExamDiff Pro, ideas for new features, bug reports, and usage tips.
airoff

Integration with Source Safe?

Post by airoff »

Has anyone gotten ExamDiff Pro to work with source safe? I remember seeing some suggestions some time ago for earlier versions, but I couldn't make it work.

I'd like to compare a directory with a project in VSS, directly. Right now, I have to deploy the VSS project to a temp directory, then do a compare.

My preference is to have EDP work similar to windif, or the compare built into VSS.

Any suggestions? I can't be the only one who wants to do this!

Alan
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

AFAIK nobody has done this. The only thing that can be done is checking out files via Right Click | Explorer Menu. Clear Case (if you are interested in it) supports Shell integration automatically, and VSS can be supported using a method described at http://www.prestosoft.com/ps.asp?page=edp_faq#15
psguru
PrestoSoft
AlexL
Expert Member

Re: Integration with Source Safe?

Post by AlexL »

airoff wrote:Has anyone gotten ExamDiff Pro to work with source safe? ... I can't be the only one who wants to do this!
Of course, you are not the only one: there are many such questions. I also would like it, but still can not find solution. Probably it does not exist.
Meanwhile our company moved to Perforce; though inability to set your own comparison utility was not the reason of this, but in Perforce it is possible to use EDP as comparison utility (unlike the situation in SourceSafe).
bmaxwell

Post by bmaxwell »

One option you could consider is to use a product called SourceOffSite (SOS), which is a product that provides a real network client/server interface to SourceSafe. I've been using SOS for several years now, and in many ways, the SOS user interface is better than the "raw" SrcSafe interface. There is not much learning curve when switching from SrcSafe to SOS user interface, because it's very similar in most ways. There are a few things you can't do from the SOS interface, but you can always use the SrcSafe interface in those fairly rare instances.

One of the things that SOS does is to provide exactly what you are looking for. You can right-click a SrcSafe project or file, and diff the SrcSafe database contents with your local working directory contents. You can easily configure SOS to use ExamDiff Pro to do the comparison.

SOS also comes with a command-line client that you can use to write batch files that automatically check in/out projects.

I don't have any affiliation with SourceGear, other than using SOS, but here is their website if you are interested:

http://www.sourcegear.com/

A single seat is $239, so it's not real cheap, but it does provide a solution.

Another big benefit is that it adds a layer of safety -- we've had a few SrcSafe database corruptions from users using the SrcSafe interface "locally", where they were still accessing the database over a local network (instead of over the internet, across the country, as I do). SourceSafe reacts very badly to a network "hiccup", but the SOS program makes remote transactions appear to be local from SrcSafe's point of view, and seems to eliminate such corruptions for us (of course, there are still other reasons for SrcSafe's database becoming corrupted, but that's a whole different subject).