Working with bookmarks

General questions about using ExamDiff Pro, ideas for new features, bug reports, and usage tips.
AlexL
Expert Member

Working with bookmarks

Post by AlexL »

Hello.

When we navigate using Next/Previous Difference (<F7>/<Shift><F7>), we can see the found difference in the middle of the screen, and this is good. But if we navigate using Next/Previous Bookmark (<F2><Shift><F2>), we get them at unpredictable place: sometimes at the bottom, and sometimes at the top - depends on what we have pressed (<F2> or <Shift><F2>), and on the fact that we just have passed through file overwrapping or have not.

1) I suggest to position the current point at the middle of the screen during navigation using bookmarks - as it is done with navigation using differences. Maybe even give the similar option as it is given for differences ("Scroll current diff to center").

2) I did not find a way to always control the behavior of the overwrapping:
- In Find Text dialog we can control it.
- In Find Next Difference it is always off.
- In Find Next Bookmark it is always on.
I feel some inconsistency with this approach.

Thank you.
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

1) I suggest to position the current point at the middle of the screen during navigation using bookmarks - as it is done with navigation using differences. Maybe even give the similar option as it is given for differences ("Scroll current diff to center").
I checked both Textpad and Visual C++ 6.0, and I have to agree with you that when a bookmark is not visible in a current page, it should be scrolled to be in the middle. This is exactly how the search works in EDP. I don't think adding another option is necessary (going thorough differences is somewhat different in my mind). Please let me know your opinion on the proposed fix.
Perhaps. But if you look at Textpad, they also always wrap over when dealing with bookmarks, and control the wrapping for searches. I think one of the reasons is that going through bookmarks does not require a dialog where such option could set, and adding yet another setting to the massive list of EDP (or Textpad for that matter) options is not desirable.
psguru
PrestoSoft
AlexL
Expert Member

Post by AlexL »

psguru wrote:
I checked both Textpad and Visual C++ 6.0, and I have to agree with you that when a bookmark is not visible in a current page, it should be scrolled to be in the middle. This is exactly how the search works in EDP. I don't think adding another option is necessary (going thorough differences is somewhat different in my mind). Please let me know your opinion on the proposed fix.
Perhaps. But if you look at Textpad, they also always wrap over when dealing with bookmarks, and control the wrapping for searches. I think one of the reasons is that going through bookmarks does not require a dialog where such option could set, and adding yet another setting to the massive list of EDP (or Textpad for that matter) options is not desirable.
- As for opinion - I'll be glad for any improvement. This is because any improvement will improve (hopefuly).
- As for bookmarks in general - the interesting thing is that before posting the original post I searched this sub-forum for bookmarks and did not find anything. I wonder if anybody uses them at all... (Or my search was wrong.)

Thank you.
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

- As for opinion - I'll be glad for any improvement. This is because any improvement will improve (hopefuly).
The fix will be coming in the next build of 3.4.
- As for bookmarks in general - the interesting thing is that before posting the original post I searched this sub-forum for bookmarks and did not find anything. I wonder if anybody uses them at all... (Or my search was wrong.)
That doesn't mean that bookmarks are not used. I suspect that it's probably a trivial feature for people to write about.
psguru
PrestoSoft
MudGuard
Expert Member

Post by MudGuard »

AlexL wrote:- As for bookmarks in general - the interesting thing is that before posting the original post I searched this sub-forum for bookmarks and did not find anything. I wonder if anybody uses them at all...
Although I use ExamDiffPro many times per work day, I usually go through the compared files top to bottom once - compared files are seldomly open in EDP for more than a minute - no need for bookmarks for me ...