How to highlight and display entire word-wrapped line?

General questions about using ExamDiff Pro, ideas for new features, bug reports, and usage tips.
SusanS

How to highlight and display entire word-wrapped line?

Post by SusanS »

I have some source code files I'm comparing. Some of the lines are quite long with lots of variable names - and may wrap several times (I want word wrap ON to see the entire line without scrolling so I can PRINT the result. My intention is to print the "differences only", word-wrapped, but I want to see the ENTIRE line of any lines that are different.

If the compare finds differences in a line, but they are in a "wrapped" segment of the line, i.e. not in the first segment of the line BEFORE it wraps, then the first segment of the line does not get highlighted - even though it IS part of the actual line. I need the entire line to highlight and display from first byte all the way to the character return, regardless of where the line wraps. There is a line number at the beginning of the line which I lose when all segments of a word-wrapped line are not visible.

It works fine if I turn off word wrap, but of course, I can't see the entire line, and it's truncated on the hard copy.

Note: I can see all segments of the line - highlighted or not - if I display all lines - including those that are identical. But if I use filters to only display the lines that are different (so I can print it out), those unhighlighted first segments do not show.

Any thoughts? I confess that I'm somewhat new to ExamDiff, but it's a wonderfully powerful tool, if I could only get it to do what I want. If you need sample files to illlustrate the problem, I can provide those.

-- Susan
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

I'm afraid there's no way to achieve what you need. I guess it never occurred to us that, when filters are used with word-wrapped text, whole lines have to preserved, even if some of their parts are identical.
psguru
PrestoSoft
SusanS

Post by SusanS »

Well, rats! At least I don't have to waste any more time trying to figure out how to do it. Does this issue make enough sense to add to a feature wish list? (perhaps the official request is to have an option to highlight the ENTIRE "different" line when word wrap is on and not just the wrapped segment if that's where the difference occurs)

Thanks for your help either way.

-- Susan
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

We'll try to squeeze the fix into the next build.
psguru
PrestoSoft
SusanS

Post by SusanS »

Wow! I am unbelievably impressed! Thank you!

-- Susan
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

The fix has been implemented in version 3.4.2.
psguru
PrestoSoft