Load in background and customizable titlebar text format

General questions about using ExamDiff Pro, ideas for new features, bug reports, and usage tips.
deux11

Load in background and customizable titlebar text format

Post by deux11 »

Sometimes I load up to 20 copies of EDP at once. I wish that while I work, the windows load in the background, rather than foreground.

In addition, it would be nice if we could customize the titlebar text format. e.g. now it is "ExamDiff Pro path1\file1 | path2\file2", maybe I don't want the file paths or the "ExamDiff Pro" part showing. It would help greatly when working with many copies at once.

Thanks for reading.
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

Sometimes I load up to 20 copies of EDP at once. I wish that while I work, the windows load in the background, rather than foreground.
I'm not sure what you mean here. Could you elaborate?
In addition, it would be nice if we could customize the titlebar text format. e.g. now it is "ExamDiff Pro path1\file1 | path2\file2", maybe I don't want the file paths or the "ExamDiff Pro" part showing. It would help greatly when working with many copies at once.
Well, that would be odd -- I mean not to show the program name in the caption. The only thing that could be changed is that "ExamDiff Pro" is moved from the beginning of the caption to the end. But even that is something that has to be well thought out.
psguru
PrestoSoft
deux11

Post by deux11 »

About the program loading:
I use CVS, so I can select several files at once, right click and select diff.
This will cause the CVS program to load ExamDiff once per file (each local file compares against the server copy). Every time the program loads, it loads on top, so I thought it would be nice if it didn't load on top, so I can do something else while all the copies load. (imagine having a program load 20 copies, each time on top of the other)

About the titlebar text, here's an example:
In these two screens, I can't really see the filename, so I have to start clicking around quite a bit to find what I'm looking for
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

I'm sorry but I don't think there's anything to be done regarding both issues.

GUI programs are always launched with their main windows going to the foreground (try, for example, selecting two XLS files in Explorer and using Open command: two Excel windows will pop up).

Using program names in captions is very common in Windows programs (see e.g. Textpad).
psguru
PrestoSoft
deux11

Post by deux11 »

How about tabs for different comparisons in examdiff pro?

What about allowing the user to specify what should be shown on the titlebar?

Well, I'm done for now. Great product regardless.
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

How about tabs for different comparisons in examdiff pro?
There's a feature request ("Implement ExamDiff Pro as a tabbed MDI application") on the wish list at http://www.prestosoft.com/ps.asp?page=edp_suggestions ; I'll add your vote to it.
What about allowing the user to specify what should be shown on the titlebar?
Perhaps... I'll add the following request to the wish list:

Ability to customize ExamDoff Pro title bar text
psguru
PrestoSoft