Commandline params not stored in "Compare new pair"

General questions about using ExamDiff Pro, ideas for new features, bug reports, and usage tips.
Mark852

Commandline params not stored in "Compare new pair"

Post by Mark852 »

When you start examdiff like

Code: Select all

start examdiff c:\foo c:\bar
and you afterwards choose "Compare new pair" the supplied parameters (directories or files, her c:\foo and c:\bar) are not inserted in the history.

So, if I want to compare c:\foo against c:\bar2 I have to put both new directories/files myself in the box.

It would nice if the given files/directories and (opt.) session name could be stored in the history.
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

It works fine here. Command line arguments are remembered in 3.2c. You also probably don't need to use "start".
psguru
PrestoSoft
Mark852

Post by Mark852 »

Try the following:
1) Delete all entries in "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\PrestoSoft\ExamDiff Pro\Recent Left Files", "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\PrestoSoft\ExamDiff Pro\Recent Right Files", "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\PrestoSoft\ExamDiff Pro\Recent Left Directories", "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\PrestoSoft\ExamDiff Pro\Recent Right Directories", "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\PrestoSoft\ExamDiff Pro\Recent Sessions" and delete the entries "File 1" and "File 2" under "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\PrestoSoft\ExamDiff Pro\Settings".
Only for getting a clear environment.

2) Start examdiff via
  • examdiff c:\foo c:\bar
(foo and bar are directories)

3) Select Compare new Pair (CTRL-E)

Result: The two combo boxes are empty (ok, I agree the two directories are in the history, but not shown)

Now the same with two files.

1) Like above

2) Start examdiff via
  • examdiff c:\foo\fileA c:\bar\fileA
3) Select Compare new Pair (CTRL-E)

Result: The two combo boxes are filled!

This behaviour is not always, but often.
If you don't clear the recent settings then the combo boxes (in directory comparison mode) often shows old values, not the current.
Can this be because I'm often using networking directories or "subst"ituted drive letters?

Examdiff behavious VERY strange if I do the same like above but first do subst Z: C:\bar and then start examdiff with examdiff c:\foo z:\.
Then I get an error message saying: file or directory z:" does not exist (remark the double quotes!)

PS: I am running examdiff often via "start examdiff" because the examdiff folder is not in my PATH environment variable and in this way the explorer searches examdiff via the registry in "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\examdiff.exe".
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

I still cannot reproduce the problem with not showing MRU files/dirs on new compare. I don't believe it has anything to do with using network directories or "subst"ituting drive letters (unless you can produce a repeatable case).

Examdiff behavious VERY strange if I do the same like above
but first do subst Z: C:\bar and then start examdiff with examdiff c:\foo z:\.

Then I get an error message saying: file or directory z:" does not exist (remark the double quotes!)
It's a known problem. The fix will be in the next version. In the meantime there're several workarounds:

1. examdiff c:\foo z:
2. examdiff c:\foo z:\\
3. examdiff.exe c:\foo z:\
psguru
PrestoSoft