Show me just the dupes

General questions about using ExamDiff Pro, ideas for new features, bug reports, and usage tips.
maximize

Show me just the dupes

Post by maximize »

I'm trying to find duplicate files, regardless of directories. I want to compare Disk F: to Disk J: The subdirectory structure is deep and different. I want to see all duplicate files even if they are not in the same subdirectory structure. I'm sure this is easy, and I'm missing it. Can someone enlighten me.

Thanks,

David Perdew
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

EDPro can only compare identical directory trees. In such trees, finding duplicates (identical files) is easy by setting up a view filter to only display identical items.
psguru
PrestoSoft
maximize

Show me just the dupes

Post by maximize »

Thanks -- I was afraid of that. I'll have to find another program to show me dupe file names without path until I get these disks organized.

Another question?

I'm synchronizing my data files between two hard disks. I travel for work. Disk A is my disk in the office. Disk B is an external disk I take with me. Most of the new work is done on A while in the office. Before leaving, I synch A with B and take B with me. Now, B has the new files. I know I can do a compare and copy the newer on B back to A, but what's the best way to set up a safe synch-back from newer B to A.

thanks again.

david
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

Here's how I do it:

1. Compare A to B using recursion
2. Sort B to have the newest files on the top (by clicking on B's Time column)
3. Multi-select top files B that are marked as new and use the arrow toolbar button to copy them to A

ExamDiff Pro does not have a one-click synchronization command yet but it's listed on the wish list at http://www.prestosoft.com/ps.asp?page=edp_suggestions , and it will be implemented in a future version.
psguru
PrestoSoft
Wonder

Post by Wonder »

Here is a good tool for finding dupe files on your harddrives or flash disks. It is Dupe Checker PRO 5.5. There are different action criteria avaliable so you can manage the process from the beginning and loose no files by inadvertence! Here is its developers web page: http://www.atory.com/Dupe_Checker_PRO/
Good luck! :D