Add RESET (or force SYNC) point in file comparison

General questions about using ExamDiff Pro, ideas for new features, bug reports, and usage tips.
AlexL
Expert Member

Add RESET (or force SYNC) point in file comparison

Post by AlexL »

Hello.

Many of us have often met such situation that some minor or bigger difference in 2 files (even only one difference) resulted in further total dissynchronization of Examdiff Pro panels, and you could not compare the significant rest of files.

Though I think that wish of ignoring fragments can make such problem more easy (I saw such wish in wish-list), I'd like to suggest the following feature: setting so called RESET (or SYNCHRONIZATION, or some other term) points in file comparison panels. Seems synchronization term is not so good here, because I do not mean copying fragments. I mean that I want to tell Examdiff Pro that from "this point" in text file it should begin to compare again, without relation to all text lines above "this point". And "this point" should be common for both panels (but not on the same line number of left and right panels). Currently I don't know how to organize such user interface, that a user will be able to specify a SYNC point, say, on line 2000/2200 in the left/right panel accordingly. Maybe set it on first panel (left or right - depends where user clicked) using right-click, and then automatically prompt to set its pair on the second panel?.. Probably even possibility to drag this point upper/lower in the text.

Currently I insert such points using some workaround: I insert large portions of some identical text (say, 50 lines "---") into that place in both files, and save files, followed by recompare. But everybody understands that such approach is bad. And sometimes even this way does not help.

I don't mean to save these points in Examdiff Pro usual settings. Maybe it is needed to save them in settings of comparing sets/schemes; maybe not.

This thing will probably solve problems for many users.

Thank you.
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

I see your point. I'll add the following suggestion to the wish list:

"Ability to add manual synchronization points to text file comparison"
psguru
PrestoSoft
basnyd

manual synchronization

Post by basnyd »

Hi

I'm using ExamDiff Pro 3.3, is it possible to do a manual synchronization between the two files? I'd like to scroll them to separate points. There are too many difference in one file that the synchronization that is done currently is actually off quite a bit.

Thanks,
Barb
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

ExamDiff Pro doesn't have this feature. We are planning to add it in the next release. Unless you are simply trying to de-synchronize vertical scrollbars -- that is possible by unsetting "Synchronize vertical scrolling (file comparison)" in Options | Display.
psguru
PrestoSoft
basnyd

Post by basnyd »

This is what I needed!!! Thank you!!!
Barb
billearle

Post by billearle »

Will "reset sync points" be in the next "dot" release (3.5) or in Version 4? I need this capability asap. I use 3.4 to compare very large files and when one file gets too many differences, the rest of the compare is meaninless.
I do love the product though.
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

This feature ("Ability to add manual synchronization points to text file comparison") is likely to be added to 3.5.
psguru
PrestoSoft
billearle

Post by billearle »

Thanks. I look forward to the next release.

Bill