Any Way to Add All Blocks from File 1 to File 2?

General questions about using ExamDiff Pro, ideas for new features, bug reports, and usage tips.
TSimonick

Any Way to Add All Blocks from File 1 to File 2?

Post by TSimonick »

I am comparing 2 text files. After doing the initial compare, I just want to Add Blocks that are different from one file to another, but the command is not available. Why?
I don't understand the help reference to "Note that this operation is disabled after manual modifications to either file. Also note that this operation is only enabled if the status of the difference is CHANGED". How do I make the status "CHANGED"?
Replace Block is available, but that is not what I need to do.

Related question: Is there a way to perform an "add all blocks" so I don't have manually move each block?

Thanks for any help.
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

I am comparing 2 text files. After doing the initial compare, I just want to Add Blocks that are different from one file to another, but the command is not available. Why?
I don't understand the help reference to "Note that this operation is disabled after manual modifications to either file. Also note that this operation is only enabled if the status of the difference is CHANGED". How do I make the status "CHANGED"?
Replace Block is available, but that is not what I need to do.
Add and Replace are both available if, as the Help suggests, blocks are CHANGED. If you think about this, with CHANGED blocks you may want to either replace a block in one file with the matching block in another file, or keep the old block while adding the block from the other file.

If, OTOH, a block is marked as ADDED (DELETED is similar), there's nothing to add to: the space matching an ADDED block is there only for padding. That's why you can only REPLACE the padding with the ADDED block.
Related question: Is there a way to perform an "add all blocks" so I don't have manually move each block?
Not yet. Coming up in a post-3.3 version.
psguru
PrestoSoft
TSimonick

Changed Block Means What?

Post by TSimonick »

I just went through the two files (they are two versions of the same word list) and where necessary added text from File 2 to File 1 , but I don't understand what ExamDiff considers "Changed". Replace Block was available 80-90% of the time, then suddenly Add Block was available. So could someone explain the concepts of Block and Changed?

Thanks
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

Here's an example:

Code: Select all

File 1   File 2
======   ======
Line 1   Line 1  
Line 2             | DELETED BLOCK
Line 3             |
Line 4   Line 4
         Line 5    | ADDED BLOCK
Line 6   Line 6
Line 7a  Line 7b   | CHANGED BLOCK
Line 8a  Line 8b   |
Line 9   Line 9
psguru
PrestoSoft
zweistein

Post by zweistein »

Is there a way to perform an "add all blocks" so I don't have manually move each block?
If in Options > File Editing, you set "After copying..." to "Move to the next difference", holding Ctrl-F9 or Ctrl-F10 comes pretty close to that.