skipping { } difference in java, etc

General questions about using ExamDiff Pro, ideas for new features, bug reports, and usage tips.
bugsBunny

skipping { } difference in java, etc

Post by bugsBunny »

(using EDP 3.3 beta) can't find any indication that the Ignore options will not flag the following fragments as different (or, show them as same)

foo {

vs.

foo
{

since we have lots of coders using various combinations, it would be better if we didn't have to re-format (and then, re-re-format when diff-ing on commit to cvs).

i'm supposing that this is a long standing issue with programming folks. does EDP (or any diff program :lol: ) do this??
bugsBunny

Post by bugsBunny »

well, sounds like a job for PlugInMan. found the tuts, but can't find how to make the following work:

using either jacobe or jalopy, one can get a re-formatted file. jacobe does it like this:

SomeClassFile.java

is reformatted and put in

SomeClassFile.java.jacobe

in the same directory. so, using wincvs calling EDP and jacobe as the plugin, how to tell EDP that the files to be compared are:

$INPUTFILENAME.jacobe

from the local directory and repository (wincvs copies to the user's temp directory on win2K)? it isn't necessary to be able to move differences between the two files. so far, i get the identical message and can't see the files when i do Show Anyway. it seems the EDP doesn't quite know what files are what.
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

Here's what you need to use for arguments:

-stdout $INPUTFILEPATH

This will redirect Jacobe output to the standard output, where EDP will pick it up from. I tested it, and it kinda works. The only problem is that, when output to stdout, Jacobe uses the following end-of-line characters for each line: 0D, 0D, 0A. This makes EDP add one blank line after each line (it treats the first 0D as the Mac-style linebreak, and the 0D, 0A as the DOS-style linebreak).

To see how EDP works correctly try the following plug-in:

App: cmd
Args: /c type $INPUTFILEPATH
psguru
PrestoSoft
bugsBunny

Post by bugsBunny »

like a charm. cool.
bugsBunny

Post by bugsBunny »

e-mailed the jacobe folk. there is a cfg file, and a switch

--lineterm=2

which tells it to use unix line termination. now all looks well. so long as one doesn't use jacobe standalone. but that's another episode.
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

Cool. Looks like a good way to compare Java files.
psguru
PrestoSoft
bugsBunny

Post by bugsBunny »

i heartily recommend jacobe for java formatting. they had a workaround within an hour or so, and updated the download to deal with the odd line terms within a day.