out of memory compareing text files

General questions about using ExamDiff Pro, ideas for new features, bug reports, and usage tips.
bmerkle

out of memory compareing text files

Post by bmerkle »

Hi there,

comparing two text files (okay they are 40 MB in size, a mysql dump)
I get an out of memory error (with ExamDiff Pro 3.4 beta)

can you fix this ?
I think 40MB are not so big for text files.

kind regards,
Bernhard.
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

I just tested EDP with two 52-MB files, and it had no troubles (the test was done on a machine with 1 GB of RAM). The actual amount of memory used by EDP depends not only on file sizes but also on how different the files are: each difference has to be stored, and the diff combobox also may grow large enough if the number of differences is huge. For the last issue there is a remedy: go to the View menu and uncheck "Diff Combo Box Bar". This, however, will not eliminate the need to store the differences.
psguru
PrestoSoft
bmerkle

Post by bmerkle »

they are not very different. In fact I can _see_ the 10 differences and also scroll a bit down, but during this operation i always get again and again the out-of-memory message.

I assume it is also depending on the compare _options_ (e.g. regex etc) but afaik i have no expensive compare options selected.

any hint what i could do to improve the situation ?
(workaround would be ok for me)

kind regards,
Bernhard.
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

Are you saying that the comparison successfully ends but scrolling of the files causes memory to be exhausted? This is odd. I even ran the Performance Monitor (perfmon.exe) to check if scrolling in EDP causes memory used by ExamDiff.exe process to grow, and the result was negative.

Is there any way that you could zip your files and make them available to me, along with your settings exported to a file? If so, please send me the link via a private message.
psguru
PrestoSoft