V3.4 Crashes when it starts

General questions about using ExamDiff Pro, ideas for new features, bug reports, and usage tips.
bmaxwell

V3.4 Crashes when it starts

Post by bmaxwell »

Hi,

I just installed ExamDiff Pro V3.4 yesterday, and it seemed to be working in some brief trys yesterday. Today, I went to use it "for real" for the first time, and it crashed.

What's more, I'm not positive, but I think it's causing an error in Windows Explorer when I start up my system.

I've been using previous versions of ExamDiff Pro with no such problems for quite a while. I actually have it installed on the two systems I use in my office, and it only crashes on my "office" machine, but it's working on my development machine ok.

I tried several times uninstalling it and reinstalling it, and got the same results. Sometimes, with a fresh install, I could get it to run right after installing, by checking the "run now" checkbox (or whatever the exact wording is). Other times, it wouldn't run even then. I tried sometimes with the password.bin file present, and other times without it present (in eval mode), with pretty much the same unsuccessful results.

The machine with the problem is:
Dell Dimension 8400
Pentium 4 CPU 3.00 GHz
Running at 2.99 GHz, 2.00 GBytes of RAM

I'm running Windows XP Pro, with SP2.

The error when starting up ExamDiff Pro V3.4 is a dialog with the "ExamDiff has encountered a problem and needs to close..." message, and with the "Send Error Report" button. I didn't record the exact verbiage in the dialog, but it's the standard crash stuff.

While ExamDiff is installed on my system, if I reboot, I get an error on Windows startup. The dialog says:

"Data Execution Prevention - Microsoft Windows"
Name: Windows Explorer
Publisher: Microsoft Corporation
with a "Close Message" button.

Then, immediately after closing that dialog, I get another dialog:

"Windows Explorer"
Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience".
with the usual "debug", "Send Error Report" and "Don't Send" buttons.

If I uninstall ExamDiff and reboot, the above error dialogs go away.

So, finally, I uninstalled V3.4 and reinstalled V3.3 and that's working fine. I haven't seen any such problems with anything else I run on the machine.

I tried disabling my Norton Internet Security stuff, and my Lavasoft Ad-Watch stuff, but it made no difference.

Any idea what's going on?

Thanks,

Bill
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

I just sent you a PM with instructions on how to denerate debug traces. I'm sure with their help we'll be able to figure out the issue.
psguru
PrestoSoft
Butch

Re:

Post by Butch »

Same Issue.

I think it has to do with the upgrade from the previous version.

Can you also send the instructions my way too, please?

Butch
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

Can you also send the instructions my way too, please?
Just did.

Here's another idea. Try temporarily removing all password.* files from your ExamDiff Pro directory. If the crash goes away, please send me you password file(s) to the address mentioned in the tracing instructions.
psguru
PrestoSoft
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

There's a fix available for this problem: see http://www.prestosoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=245 for details.
psguru
PrestoSoft