Copy different files to another directory

General questions about using ExamDiff Pro, ideas for new features, bug reports, and usage tips.
Marco Nef

Copy different files to another directory

Post by Marco Nef »

Hi

For my dayly work with Exam Diff Pro I miss the following functionality: How about a button that allows to copy the changed files to another directory that can be chosen freely. Very important: The directory structure should be kept.

Thanks
Marco
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

There is already following suggestion at http://www.prestosoft.com/ps.asp?page=edp_suggestions :
"Add 'Copy To...' command to directory comparison view".
I'll add your vote to it.
psguru
PrestoSoft
Marco Nef

Post by Marco Nef »

Another idea that would be really helpfull and is in this context:

If I have an ExamDiff in file comparison mode, I often would like to drag a file from one of the file panes and drop it to an explorer window with the intention to copy it to that location.

By the way: This forum is great and your support even better!
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

Now that "Add 'Copy To...' command to directory comparison view" is implemented in 3.3, do you want "Copy To..." command added to the file comparison context menu?
psguru
PrestoSoft
Marco Nef

Post by Marco Nef »

No, maybe I wasn't clear enough. Take the following situation: There are two screens in front of you, on one of them is ExamDiff, on the other is Windows Explorer. The feature I would like to have is the following: Drag a file from ExamDiff by taking it with the mouse and drop it in any directory shown in Windows Explorer at that moment, which means that the file should be copied.
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

I don't think such functionality is very useful, or easily discoverable, and hence worth the effort. Dragging from a file pane will interfere with drag-n-drop editing - if a selection exists, and is a little unusual -- if a selection does not exist.

An easy alternative is to use Explorer Menu (Right Click, Explorer Menu, or Shift-Right Click), then Copy command. Then simply paste the file into your Explorer window.
psguru
PrestoSoft
Marco Nef

Post by Marco Nef »

You're right, that's a good alternative.
psguru wrote:Dragging from a file pane will interfere with drag-n-drop editing - if a selection exists, and is a little unusual -- if a selection does not exist.
What's that? I've never seen any drag n' drop functionality in a file pane and can't find it now.
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

Select text in a file comparison pane, drag it into the same pane or the opposite one.
psguru
PrestoSoft
Marco Nef

Post by Marco Nef »

Sorry, I think I made some confusion about file and directory pane. What I was talking about was allways the directory pane where I can see several files at at time, not their content. So my wish is a drag/drop from the directory pane to an explorer window.
psguru
Site Admin

Post by psguru »

I see. I'll add your vote to

Drag and Drop files and subdirectories from directory comparison panes to other Windows applications

af http://www.prestosoft.com/ps.asp?page=edp_suggestions
psguru
PrestoSoft